- How to learn on LLL programme
- 1.1 How to start?
- 1.2 How to learn on-line?
- 1.3 How to learn at live course?
- 1.4 How to learn at WEBINAR?
- 1.5 Certification and credit accumulation
- 1.6 ESPEN diploma
- 1.7 Individual portfolio
- Rules for credit accumulation
- 2.1 Rules for credit accumulation for acquisition of Certificates
- 2.2 Rules for credit accumulation for ESPEN Diploma
- Procedure for taking the ESPEN LLL final examination
- 3.1 Mandatory pre-requisites for taking the final exam
- 3.2 Application
- 3.3 Format of the exam
LLL programme in Clinical Nutrition provides the opportunity to create an individual study plan consisting of a self-selected list of modules and live courses, to collect credits and live courses certificates for applying to get the ESPEN Diploma
in Clinical Nutrition.
The following points will help you to use the LLL-programme:
There are no fees for learning with the LLL programme to accumulate credits from the on-line material of the LLL programme.
Register on-line by clicking on Registration to LLL Programme. Fill in the registration form with your details, including your username and a password.
If you are ESPEN member, you do not need to register to LLL. You can use your ESPEN username and password.
After you complete the registration, you will receive two emails from firstname.lastname@example.org, one informational and another one for verification, providing a link asking you to activate your personal account. Click on the link and finalise your subscription by completing all your personal details.
Your first access to the LLL programme will be from your email address.
Please check your spam folder to be sure that verification email is not being detected as spam (especially if you have a Hotmail or Yahoo email account).
Accounts that are not activated or with incomplete personal details will be deleted by the LLL administration after 20 days.
Some advices: Registration in LLL portal has to be done with a personal computer or a notebook (not through other devices as smartphone or tablet). We recommend using Chrome or Internet Explorer browsers with cookies and pop-ups enabled at least temporarily.
Use the module catalogue to be acquainted with the topics and modules.
Learning on-line is a compulsory component of your training in the LLL programme.
The On-line Course offers a set of self-training activities in each topic. It grants the opportunity to study selected on-line modules and earn credits. Each Topic consists of four modules (although some consists of two).
The module is an educational unit of the LLL programme in Nutrition. Each module comprises an updated review on a specific problem, clinical case, self-assessment test and grading quizzes.
64 credits must be earned from On-line Courses to apply for the ESPEN Diploma.
To start the on-line training in the LLL programme you have to login with your personal username and password. If you are in the system, you follow the next steps:
- Go to Course Categories (My courses), click on On-line Courses (Topics) and select a topic of your interest.
- You will be invited to enrol for the topic. The enrolment is just a formal procedure; don't hesitate to click "Yes" on the window that appears.
- The enrolment for each topic provides you with free access to its educational contents, all the options and recourses of its constituent modules and an opportunity to get credits. The LLL programme automatically adds each enrolled topic to your portfolio.
- On the Module page you will find an updated review on the subject, a clinical case and self-assessment-test.
- Read the clinical case and answer the questions and do the self-assessment test.
To get the printable version of the module you click on Printable Version at the top of the page.
Take the advantage to earn more credits doing each grading quiz from topic outline page.
- Click on the corresponding grading quiz. You are allowed to make two attempts for each quiz and the best score will be registered in your portfolio.
- Click on "Attempt quiz now" and start answering the questions. Each of your answers must be submitted so that you could check if it is correct or not.
- After you finish your first attempt you can either save it without submitting, submit it or finalize it. Once you finalize your attempt, you will see a review of your scores. You cannot change your answers afterwards.
- Click on "Re-attempt quiz" if you want to improve your result.
- You must score at least 80% in order to receive 1 credit per grading quiz.
The advantages of the Live courses are: intensive training, peer-learning, certification of competencies, discussion on clinical cases, opportunity for communication and immediate feedback used for quality assessment of the LLL programme.
The Live course is a compulsory component of your training in the LLL programme.
The schedule of the Live Courses is available on the LLL or on ESPEN web-site.
Before attending a Live course, you must have been registered on the LLL website, and you should study all modules included in the Live course from the corresponding on-line course.
The live course for each topic includes 4 modules and has a 4-hour format. The modules are delivered by recognised experts in clinical nutrition.
Each live course consists of 3 components:
- Case discussions;
- Assessment test.
In case your score is less, you will be provided by a certificate of attendance.
After successful pass of Live course 4 CME credits will be uploaded into your portfolio in one month.
Live courses on various topics are organized annually by ESPEN during the annual ESPEN congress.
Live courses on specific topics are also organized by PEN societies in collaboration with ESPEN.
Use the opportunity to select several (maximum 7) Live courses from 20 LLL Live courses during the annual ESPEN Congress.
Webinar has the same structure as a Live course. Each Webinar consists of 3 components: Lectures, cases and test (Safe Exam Quiz).
The participants in the Webinar get the information, the links to access the course and the and passwords for the Safe Test form the director of the course.
The LLL Webinars offer the same number of credits as live LLL courses.
The test is organised in the Safe Exam Browser(SEB). It has to be downloaded before the Webinar.
To participate in a Webinar and to get Credits You Have:
- To attend all webinar lectures.
- To pass successfully Test/Quiz with more than 23 points.
- The Quiz could be attempted only once under the video surveillance provided by videoconference solutions.
- To start the quiz in SafeExamBrowser you should download the SafeExamBrowser and special config file from Quiz page. SEB Config file could be opened with a special password that will be provided by the LLL Teacher just before the quiz starts.
56 credits from Live Courses and Webinars (14 courses) are required to apply for the ESPEN Diploma.
The competencies and skills acquired by users of the LLL programme in Nutrition are assessed and certified. ESPEN LLL programme in Nutrition is accredited by the UCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians and CME credits.
Certification is provided at three levels:
- One credit is awarded from on-line activities after you successfully pass the grading quiz for one module.
- A certificate of 4 CME credits is awarded for a Live course after successful test pass.
- A certificate of 4 CME credits is awarded for a Webinar after successful test pass.
Details for credit accumulation
Credits will be given for each module and kept in your portfolio for 8 years.
At any point within this time period you can print out the number of credits by accessing "Edit Your Profile" at the top of your personal homepage and ask for the certificates.
To earn credits from on-line activities, you must to read the content of the module, to do the self-assessment test, to answer the questions from the clinical case and to pass the grading quizzes for each module included in the corresponding topic.
If you attend a Live course, which are announced on ESPEN or LLL website, you earn 4 CME credits per Live course, if you pass the the test (24 right of 30 true/false questions).
Credit accumulation from various modules provides you with the opportunity to be awarded the ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition.
ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism is awarded after successful accumulation of a total of 120 credits.
You must accumulate 120 CME credits in order to sit the final exam:
- 64 credits from on-line courses;
- 56 credits from live courses and Webinars (altogether 14 courses);
- 30 credits credits are awarded from successful completion of a final exam.
The mandatory topics for the credits earned at Live courses or Webinars are:
Topic 3, Topic 8, Topic 9, Topic 17, Topic 18, and mandatory On-line courses are: Topic 1, Topic 6, Topic 20 and Topic 23.
The earned credits are verified from individual portfolio of each LLL user or with the certificates issued for each Live course/Webinar undertaken.
Read the rules for Final Examination.
LLL programme in Clinical Nutrition provides the opportunity to create an individual study plan consisting of a self-selected list of modules and live courses, and to collect credits and certificates for ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition.
Once you have registered to LLL, the system automatically follows all your activities.
The enrolment for each topic provides you with free access to the educational contents, all the options and recourses of the constituent modules and an opportunity to get credits and certificates.
The enrolment for each topic forms the basis of your personalized portfolio, enabling the system to follow and evaluate your progress. Customize your Portfolio regarding your educational experience in order to meet your personal interests and goals and update your profile with your personal data.
Learning on-line is a compulsory component of your training in the LLL programme. 64 of the credits required for acquisition of ESPEN Diploma must be earned from On-line Courses.
The Live course and Webinar is a compulsory component of your training in the LLL programme. 56 of the credits required for acquisition of ESPEN Diploma must be earned from Live Courses and Webinars.
The competencies and skills acquired by users of the LLL programme in Nutrition are assessed and certified. ESPEN LLL programme in Clinical Nutrition is accredited by the "Union Européenne des Médecins Spécialistes" (UEMS), which is recognised for Continuing Medical Education (CME) in most countries.
Certification is provided at several levels:
- A certificate for 4 CME credits for each specific topic at a Live course and/or Webinar after its successful completion.
- A certificate for 4 credits from on-line activities for one topic is awarded after you do the self-assessment test for each module and successfully pass the corresponding grading quizzes for the Topic.
Note: Some of the topics provides less credits, depending on the included number of the modules. Please check in the module catalogue.
Certificates are provided at Live courses. You can earn the credits for each topic according to the completed activities: You can get "Topic maximum" and earn CME credits from on-line and live course on one topic in case you successfully pass both self-assessment test and grading quiz for each module and then participate in the live course.
Users / participants in LLL programme who successfully complete their training and meet the respective requirements of LLL programme for Diploma are awarded by ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism. Two kinds of ESPEN Diploma are issued:
- ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism is awarded to health professionals (Masters/Bachelors) participants in LLL programme, who succeeded to collect 150 credits from live courses, on-line self-training and final exam.
- EUROPEAN ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism with credits granted by Union Europeenne des Medecins Specialistes, and recognized for Continuing Medical Education in most countries is awarded to physicians after the completion of the requirements for diploma - collection of 150 credits: 120 credits from on-line and Live courses and/or Webinars and 30 credits from successful final exam.
There are two kinds of modules - mandatory and optional. When starting training you have to check which modules are mandatory for Final Examination.
There are mandatory topics for the credits earned at Live courses: Topic 3, Topic 8, Topic 9, Topic 17, Topic 18 and mandatory on-line courses: Topic 1, Topic 6, Topic 20 and 23.
Note: If more than 16 topics have been covered, the student has the right to select 16 topics on which he/she would prefer being tested for the final examination. This information should be sent with the application.
The earned credits are verified from individual portfolio of each LLL user or with the certificates issued for each live course undertaken.
150 credits for ESPEN Diploma:
You must accumulate 120 credits in order to sit the final exam, which brings the remaining 30 credits.
- 64 credits from on-line courses;
- 56 credits from Live courses and/or Webinars;
- 30 credits from successful completion of the final exam.
The earned credits are verified with the certificates issued for each live or on-line courses undertaken.
The ESPEN Diploma provides recognition of skills and competences in Clinical Nutrition to the owner of the Diploma and it has all the prestige of ESPEN.
Candidates to the ESPEN Diploma need to collect the number of required CME credits and pass the Final Exam.
120 CME credits are necessary to sit for the final exam.
A minimum of 56 credits from 14 Live courses or Webinars and 64 credits from online courses are requested. The earned credits are verified with the certificates issued for live courses and from individual online profile.
The final exam, if passed, awards the additional 30 credits.
There are mandatory topics for the credits earned at Live courses/Webinars:
Topic 3, Topic 8, Topic 9, Topic 17, Topic 18, and
Mandatory On-line courses:
Topic 1, Topic 6, Topic 20 and Topic 23.
Note: If more than 16 topics have been covered, the student has the right to select 16 topics on which he/she would prefer being tested for the final exam. This information should be sent with the application.
We kindly remind you to check your credits online on LLL Web Portal (https://lllnutrition.com/)
If you are unsure that your credits have been lost, please send us the documents related to the specific topic undertaken with the application.
The exam is organized annually at ESPEN Congress and on designated locations under approval by LLL Board.
The deadline for application for Final Exam is two months before the scheduled Final Exam. After this time no application will be accepted.
If an applicant fulfils the prerequisites, he/she has to write an intent letter to the LLL co-director Regina Komsa-Penkova, email@example.com informing about the intention to sit for the exam and providing a summary of the accumulated credits.
Credits earned by successful completion of the live courses will be certified by the certificates issued at the end of the live courses. Credits earned by online activity will be verified by checking applicant's individual online account.
Thereafter, the LLL Board will respond to the applicants' request after checking from the applicant personal profile on the web portal, and confirm or deny the applicants' request.
The fee for final LLL exam is 100 Euro. The payment should be made to the organizers of the event, where the Final Exam takes place, before sitting the Exam.
Each applicant authorized to sit at the exam will be given an individual test containing 100 multiple choice questions, according to the Courses he/she has taken and are registered in his/her individual credits profile at LLL WEBPortal. The multiple-choice
questions have only one right answer from four available.
The examinee must have a minimum of 80% of the correct answers.
The duration of exam is 3 hours, without any break.
Note: Any form of electronic device (e.g. cellular phones, tablets, etc.) are prohibited inside the exam hall.
The ESPEN Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism is awarded after successful accumulation of a total of 150 credits.
A European Diploma Supplement, mentioning the activities of the student on the web-portal during the entire LLL program, is given together with Diploma.
The ESPEN Diploma recognizes the knowledge and competences in Clinical Nutrition of the owner of the Diploma and it has all the prestige of ESPEN. This Diploma can be considered as an endorsement by ESPEN, but it is not an equivalent of a formal degree recognized by a Ministry of Education of any country. For professional career development the Diploma has the weight that employers want to give it.
Prof. Rocco Barazzoni
ESPEN LLL Board:
Prof. Alessandro Laviano
Prof. Remy Meier
Prof. Regina Komsa-Penkova
Prof. Stanislaw Klek